Lesson Planning with Me

Hello! I teach an integrated preschool classroom, which means I am responsible for students ages three to five with special needs of all types as well as typical developing students. My students range in ability from a toddler to a typical kindergartener. Therefore, my activities must be able to reach a wide range and be easily adjusted for multiple ability levels.

I created this blog as a way to keep track of the fantastic ideas I have gathered over the years. Because I just randomly add activities to the blog, use the search, standard list, or theme list on the left side to find the activities you are after!

I also create and sell resources that can be found at TeachersPayTeachers and Teacher's Notebook.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Turtles

Turtle shell prints for preschoolers


I don’t know what it is about turtles but I just love them and I am always trying to think of new ways to make them so they are a little less craftsy and a little more artsy….


This turned out to be a fun way to make turtle prints to go along with the book – “The Foolish Tortoise” by Eric Carle. Start by cutting out “shell” shapes or ovals from a piece of Styrofoam. I saved my pieces of Styrofoam from packages of meat and then washed them good with soap and hot water…

Older preschoolers can use a toothpick to carve lines or circle-shapes into the Styrofoam – younger preschoolers may need a little assistance to do the carving or can press the shapes into the Styrofoam with a small cookie cutter…

Next, roll some paint over the lines made into the Styrofoam…

Then flip the Styrofoam, paint side down, onto a sheet of paper and rub it. Now lift and you have a turtle shell print…

Provide several pieces of Styrofoam and different paint colors so that the children can explore making a variety of turtle shell prints…

Here is one with the more rounded prints…

Crayons can also be supplied so the children can add arm, legs, and a head if desired. I liked the shells without anything but here is a sample both ways…


Yes, even a preschooler can draw better than me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment